CSAwesome PD Options
CSAwesome PD is offered in three lengths and can be completed either online or hybrid (a mix of face-to-face and online). Support from a Master Teacher is provided during the PD and throughout the academic year.
- For those Experienced with Java - Immersion 45 hour PD
- For those New to Java - Extended 65 hour PD (includes 20 hours of Java specific PD) if planning to teach AP CSA
- For those New to Java - Intro 20-25 hour PD (includes Java basics and pedagogy) for those not planning to teach the course or planning to teach a pre-AP Java course
College Board Workshops and Summer Institutes:
The College Board offers AP CSA specific training (either one day or 30 hours) for teachers preparing to teach the AP CSA course. Teachers may decide to attend a College Board Workshop or Summer Institute training and/or attend a CSAwesome PD. Attending both is encouraged, but not required. Learn more at https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/professional-development/workshops-summer-institutes.
- Immersion PD (45 hours): $1750/teacher
- Extended PD (65 hours): $2400/teacher
- Intro to Java (25 hours): n/a - limited to teachers participating in Maryland Center for Computing Education or Amazon Future Engineers programs.
In some cases, grant funding may be available to help cover the cost of teacher participation in the CSAwesome PD. See our Research Project page for more information on how you can attend a PD for FREE.
Group and Partnership rates are also available. Email inquiries to email@example.com.
CSAwesome acknowledges the achievement of every teacher who completes the PD program by awarding the following:
- A Certificate of Participation is given to all teachers who complete the professional development, indicating the number of PD hours.
- Graduate Education Credits can also be earned through the College of St. Scholastica by earning a Certificate of Participation and completing additional coursework. (Cost: $125/credit. Available in an Immersion (1 credit) or Extended (2-3 credit) basis, based on Carnegie Units of 120 hours for 3 credits.) For more information, see our Graduate Credit page.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 and institution closings, credit card payments are preferred at this time. Please have this information available before completing registration. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for an Upcoming CSAwesome PD
Summer 2020: Online Intro to Java for those New to Java
- Summer I: June 8 - June 21, 2020
- Summer II: June 29 - July 12, 2020
Limited to teachers participating in Maryland Center for Computing Education or Amazon Future Engineers programs.
Summer 2020: Arizona CS PD
- June 8 - July 18, 2020 - Online for those new to Java
- June 22 - July 18, 2020 - Online for those experienced with Java
A limited number of scholarships are available for teachers who are new to CSA and participate in our research project.
Summer 2020: California Summer of CS
- June 18, 2020 - virtual kick-off event
- June 22 - July 31, 2020 - Online for those new to Java
- July 6 - July 31, 2020 - Online for those experienced with Java
Scholarships are available for California high school teachers to attend the PD at no cost.
Summer 2020: Pathfinders Summer Institute Virtual
- July 19-24, 2020
Cost: $1,015 per teacher. A limited number of scholarships are available for teachers who are new to CSA and participate in our research project. Any public high school teacher can also use DonorsChoose.org to raise funds.
Apply here by May 15, 2020 at 6pm ET.
Ongoing: College of St. Scholastica EDU 6730: Programming and Teaching Java